Chartered Marketer status is the mark of an up to date, experienced and qualified marketing professional.
It is awarded to professional members with outstanding practical experience and expertise, and who are committed to continuing professional development.
It is marketing's highest grade and is awarded exclusively by The Chartered Institute of Marketing in recognition of outstanding practical experience and expertise.
To be eligible for Chartered Marketer status, you must either be a Member (MCIM) or a Fellow (FCIM) and have satisfied the requirements of the Chartered CPD Programme for two consecutive years.
There is no additional fee to become a Chartered Marketer.
The benefit to you
As a Chartered Marketer you gain more credibility with employers and a competitive edge over your peers, progressing your career effectively. Only The Chartered Institute of Marketing can award Chartered Marketer status to a marketer. We campaign with employers to recognize this status as the benchmark for highly skilled marketers. As a consultant, Chartered Marketer status demonstrates ongoing commitment and competency to your clients.
The benefit to your employer
Many marketers have a relevant marketing qualification, but Chartered Marketers must ensure they study to maintain, develop and update their marketing skills and knowledge.
Chartered Marketer status is an effective measurement of business competency and expertise, which ultimately contribute to better business performance. It's also a reassurance that the marketer is ethical, experienced and applies first class marketing skills to give you improved business advantage.
How to become a Chartered Marketer
- Complete 35 hours of Continuous Professional Development (CPD) study each year (1 July - 30 June) for two consecutive years and record your activities on this record card. You must hold either Member (MCIM) or Fellow (FCIM) status to be eligible for Chartered status, but accumulating CPD hours is open to all members regardless of career level or membership grade.
- Submit your completed record card with supporting evidence annually for these two years by 31st December
- If your evidence is sufficient, then you will be awarded Chartered Marketer status.
Maintaining your Chartered Marketer status
- Continue to complete at least 35 hours CPD each year (1 July - 30 June)
- Once you have submitted your initial two years evidence and gained the Chartered Status, you will only be required to submit evidence as part of our 10% random survey. (Please note that as there are around 4500 Chartered Marketers, you may be requested to do these two years in a row).
For more details see Continuing professional development.